Saturday 5 December 2009

"Voyage of the Damned"

"Voyage of the Damned" is pure action escapism, providing a Doctor Who spin on the likes of The Poseidon Adventure- by this time, Doctor Who had become a Christmas tradition like a big movie and the OTT nature of the story fits well in the festive season, even with a replica of the Titanic swooping over Buckingham Palace! The characters are engaging and Davies supplies us with his usual fun dialogue- Mr Copper’s unique take on Earth culture is a highlight. The ‘monsters’ are the host, very reminiscent of the titular automatons in The Robots of Death, but whose angelic form recalls a more recent adversary. If there is a criticism, perhaps it lacks the heart of so many other Doctor Who episodes- even Astrid’s passing does not quite move us in the way it should, in a rare case of inadequate character writing by Davies. This is the first time that the credited guest has died and it should really have had more impact. This is purely a character problem- the dialogue is wonderful, when it could be cheesy: 'You're not falling, Astrid; you're flying'.

The story looks and sounds fantastic and we know we are in good directorial hands with James Strong. The episode is stuffed with fantastic set pieces that are thoroughly exciting with stunning special effects. The cast is hugely impressive- Geoffrey Palmer as the Captain exudes dignity and regret, and Russell Tovey is very charismatic as Midshipman Frame. George Costigan is imperiously sleazy as Max Capricorn. The band of survivors are all engagingly played from Jimmy Vee’s Bannakaffalatta to Clive Swift’s hilarious Mr Copper and Rickston Slade, played by the fascinatingly bug-eyed Gray O'Brien. The big guest star is, of course, Kylie Minogue as Astrid. It is easy to forget that Kylie started off as an actress and she exudes the same charisma as she did on Neighbours, making Astrid a very likeable character.

The Doctor is more of an action hero, as befits a disaster movie and David Tennant makes this work perfectly- the moment where he takes charge over the loathsome Rickston makes you want to punch the air. The Doctor even gains a new companion, only to lose her, watching her ghostly form dissolve before his eyes. It is not surprising that at the end, the Doctor is on his own again and wishes to stay that way.

"Voyage of the Damned" lacks some of the substance or soul of previous stories, but it is very well made and supremely entertaining- if you are in the right frame of mind, you will have a blast!

NEXT: "Partners in Crime"

3 comments:

vidal said...

Good heavens, are you serious? I'm sorry, but I must take serious exception to this review. I thought this was the most appalling episode of the new series! Escapism and being OTT is one thing, sure, but when you have RTD blatantly idolizing the Doctor as in the scene where the angels fly him up to the deck? That's just absurd. Yeah, he's a hero, but he's NOT. GOD. Especially on Christmas, for goodness' sakes. Also, every character was grating, detestable, and even then, far too coldly dispatched. Did the body count have to be so damn high with a Christmas Special?

And Russell Tovey? Did you really think was all that great? I thought he was underacting and dull. Geoffrey Palmer? Yeah, he does fine, but seriously underused. So small a role for so great an actor. That character could've been far more fleshed out.

Otherwise, I was surprised by Kylie Minogue and how much I didn't mind her character. (In fact, I think her death scene was not only sad, but unnecessary, contrived, and another abuse of the 'self-sacrificing' cliche.) Clive Swift is great in anything, though I thought his character, amusing mangling of Earth history aside, was a bit too much of an Earthling to be an alien.

And I'm sorry, but how the heck could you stand, er...(scrolls up) Bannakaffalatta? Not only was he so irritating it made my teeth hurt, but RTD just had to go and inject (and may I add a disclaimer here that I am more than completely welcoming of LGBT perspectives in the media, and that I didn't mind any other suggestion of these issues in any of the other episodes that he did) a bit of social commentary into the character by having him be some kind of perceived second-class citizen "that could now get married" or whatever it was (it's been a while). That was not only completely gratuitous, it also felt tacked-on and manipulative, especially considering how gimmicky the character was. Too much so to be truly sympathetic, and considering, he, too, goes the self-sacrificing way. Really, it's not sadness anyone is feeling there - if they feel anything - but that the character was not given full respect by its creator. But I have a feeling that RTD doesn't really like creating new monsters and creatures, and when he does, he really gives them the short shrift. He usually kills them off, makes them completely grotesque, or both.

Not that your review is invalid, and none of what I'm writing here is really even proper criticism, but I really couldn't stay quiet after reading this review. I really feel that strongly about this episode. RTD should never have written it. Doctor Who has done much, much better, and despite all my criticism of him, I think RTD could have as well.

Crystal Bucket Major said...

Wow! Of all the episodes to get hot under the collar about, I didn't expect this one!

I think the key thing is that I did *not* find Bannakaffalatta annoying, nor was I adversely affected by the religious imagery of that one scene, but I am somewhat immune to blasphemy. This makes it easier for me to like the episode.

It is, basically, a disaster movie- a diverse, potentially antagonistic group of people/stereotypes brought together.

Russell Tovey seems to be turning into a Clive Owen type figure- some saying he's a brilliant actor, others saying he can barely act at all!

Still, your criticism is a valid one, although the story is too well made to be bad- I think that "Daleks in Manhattan"/ "Evolution of the Daleks" is the worst story by a huge margin. Fortunately, although I like this story, it's not one I'd go out on a limb to defend. Now if you'd had a go at "Utopia"/"The Sound of Drums"/ "Last of the Time Lords"...

vidal said...

Heh, nah, I'm just glad you didn't like Twin Dilemma!

Perhaps I got a bit carried away with my ranting review there. I didn't find the religious imagery blasphemous, per se, but just tiresome and all too indicative of RTD's idolization of the character. We like the Doctor because he's an eccentric oddball that saves the planet (and even the universe!) time and time again, but to draw a comparison to Jesus? I think it's in poor taste, undermines the scientific origins of the show, really, and though I can't speak for the religious viewers of the show (I myself am not religious), possibly quite offensive. I understand that RTD is an atheist, so I have no idea why he does this apart from his enthusiasm towards the character. Really, I just find it a misuse of religious imagery as it doesn't have any real depth, or originality, for that matter.

I suppose I can respect the "disaster movie" genre, but still: the body count is still so high for a Christmas Special. I also, personally, don't really like it when there's too many people dying, at least in certain situations where it seems unnecessary and dismissive of the character. I like it when they stress that life is important, and the characters are missed when killed or deserve their deaths. This just seemed so careless and, frankly, sadistic. By the way, I guess it also explains why I was so unfond of Eric Saward's tenure as script editor under JNT, and the resulting episodes with Colin Baker. Sadistic!

We'll just have to agree to disagree about Russell Tovey. I just think he's bland. I suppose I wasn't watching him very closely here, and it was some time ago, but still.

Nope, no argument over the last couple of episodes, aside from the disappointing technology exhibited in "Utopia." I also didn't like the ending of "Last of the Time Lords," but that's just from my personal aesthetic. It worked fine.